Leap of Faith

I stared down at the water 20 feet below me, my stomach turning. I was shaking. “Okay, Rhys. Get it together. You’ve done this before!” That, of course, was a lie. I had never jumped 20 feet.

Everyone was looking, waiting for me to chicken out, to back away. I took a step back and closed my eyes, my mind went black. All I could feel was the wind on my face and the cold hard floor of the balcony overlooking the lake. Then with a burst of energy and a quick step I threw myself over the edge into oblivion! Time slowed as I sailed through the air thinking “Ha! This is just like flying!”

Then I fell.

I plummeted towards the water’s surface below me like a block of concrete hollering a wordless cry! “Oh god, I hope the waters deep enough!” was the last thought through my head before I connected with the water.

I opened my eyes to see weeds and shot up to the surface. I felt air envelop my head and looked up to see the balcony above me.

“You okay down there?” a voice called out. The voice was followed by Asher’s head popping over the edge to stare down at me.

I nodded my head, replying “That was so fun I’m going to have to do it again!”

3 thoughts on “Leap of Faith

1. I think it sounds like great fun to jump into the water as you described it. However, you will always remember to check out the depth (in some fashion) before you leap. Too dangerous to leap when you don’t know whether the water is deep enough to keep you safe. No rocks. No debris. Plenty of depth. I know you can hold your breath long enough to safely resurface just as long as you don’t crash into something hidden under the water. Don’t worry about being a
    “chicken” if that keeps you safe. Otherwise, fly into space!

2. Rhys what a wild ride. I could see and feel everything you were experiencing. I continue to love he way you write. Keep it up. You have the most amazing imagination. The perfect tool for a true writer. Proud of you! Mom