Fallout

I have been playing the game Fallout 3 for a while and it made me wonder what people would do in a real nuclear apocalypse. Imagine that you have just stepped out of a bunker ten years after the bombs fell. Think of all the things you would want to have before you set out into the wasteland. Leave a list of things you would want in the comments.

I would want:

military grade backpack
assault rifle with an a cog scope
kevlar vest
food
water and water purifier
pistol
rad removal
a gas mask
all terrain vehicle (ATV)

6 thoughts on “Fallout

1. Rhys this is a thoughtful question. I don’t like guns, but I would like to have a bow and arrow. A really cool one like the one on the Green Arrow show we have been watching. I would like a compass, food, water, I would like a bicycle rather than an ATV since I’m not sure where I get fuel. First aid kit comes to mind. Great idea to have the water purifier. Smart! I would like to have a map to go with my compass. Finally, I would like to have a cook book to read when I’m resting. I would need something to take my mind off this Fallout! Thanks for doing such a super job with your posts. Keep up the good work! MoM

2. If I was heading into the wasteland, I would operate under these the assumption that the biggest threat is nature (cold, rain, lack of food) and starvation as opposed to other survivors that had reverted to savages. I also would assume that resources (fuel, ammo) would be scarce, particularly once I reached the relatively untouched hinterlands. To that end, I would act as if was going on a solo mountain climbing expedition and try and make myself an REI “super backpack” to hold:

hunting knife
    pocket knife
    rifle with scope (100 rounds ammo)
    pistol (25 rounds ammo)
    one man tent (that could fit a 2nd person in the event I meet another survivor)
    climbing gear able to pass 100 foot cliff faces
    sleeping bag
    compass
    wool undergarmets and thermals
    tinderbox (for starting campfires)
    cooking set
    antibiotics
    iodine tablets
    hand powered lantern & flashlight

3. I have a question, do the dead people turn into zombies? I’m wondering because you are using the word “Apocalypse” and carrying lots of weapons with you.

4. If not, I would bring:

some how to survive in the wild books, they have information on how to get fire, survive, etc.
    canned food(in case that I run out)
    Iodine(at least 3 gallons, which I will use to clean my water supply for as long as I live unless I learn to build a fire- assuming there are wood left in nature)
    Kevlar vest
    Antibiotics- Lots
    a car(if I can’t hijack it from someone else)
    An AK-47, dual Desert Eagles or a UZI with at least 500 rounds of ammo(unless I can take some from a gun store)
    M72 Law, Bazookas,C4s and grenades(to protect my crops and tiny house, at least 200 of each)
    Also, and the most importantly: ADT to prevent other people(if there are any) from stealing my weapons…which would be pretty bad
    A Swiss knife
    Farming tools and seeds
    Stone, wood, building utensils(so I can build a house, even though it might be bad)
    A laptop and Ipad with a lot of information in it
    Video games(something that I can do for the rest of my life)
    More video games(I will probably do this for the rest of my life if there are no one left in the world)
    And…Books to read
    Also, I would bring a Solar powered generator- for my video games and laptop.
    And another backup generator, just in case

So, overall, if the world is a wasteland, I would choose to stay at this one place.I would build a small house, farm crops, and play video games for the rest of my life…And read.

5. After fallout I would want to be with Sean because he would be prepared. (I’d want my own tent, of course, because it is quite likely that he snores.) I know that Sean remains calm in the face of adversity. Also, he would give clear instructions about measures to be taken for survival in such a devastated world.

With luck, we would met up with you thereby strengthening of chances of surviving.